When looking for a new job it is important to have a clear plan that incorporates a variety of job search methods. Here are 12 Tips to Jump Start Your Job Search and help you to be more effective in those endeavors.
- Define the type of positions you want to apply for – be specific.
- Define your market: industry, geographic location/s, company culture/size.
- Contact your professional and personal references and ask each of them to write you a Letter of Reference. Information from these letters may be useful in your résumé.
- Work with a Professional Résumé Writer to get the best résumé possible and the associated job marketing documents you will need when applying and interviewing for employment positions.
- Complete a Linked In profile and begin to connect with people there.
- Check out your online presence (Google your name) and clean up any negative items that show up in search engine results.
- Join a job search support group in your area.
- Make your job search plan by listing all of the possible ways that you can search for a job, how much time you will spend on each item/activity per week.
- Review job vacancy postings and apply for those positions for which you are a great fit.
- Follow up with contacts and job applications via phone, personal visit, email etc.
- Develop a personal networking plan.
- Plan to “talk” or connect in some way with no less than 5 people per week about your job search and let them know what type of position/s for which you want to apply.
How have you used some of these job search tips? Do you have other tips to share with us that have worked well for you?