Have you ever wondered why smart, successful people struggle to find a new job or a satisfying career? Perhaps you are one of those people.
Does it feel like your job search is going nowhere?
Use the tips below to step up your job search game. Don’t just wish for a new job — make it so!
Did you know that the people, who are most successful in finding, landing, and starting the job they want, have several things in common? Here are the most important areas to include in your comprehensive job search efforts:
IDENTIFY specific job titles to target during your job search, this includes:
- Identify companies you are interested in working for and potential job titles.
- Gather contact information for people that are in the position to hire you.
- Reach out to contacts that can connect you to the hiring manager.
- Learn about the companies for which you would like to work.
INVEST time, money, and energy in your job search.
- Use a strong, well-written, and attention-getting resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile.
- Stay on top of changing trends in the hiring industry with job search coaching.
- Strategize and plan how to conduct an effective job search.
- Learn how to use social media engagement to establish a positive and active online presence that will enlarge the reach of your job search.
- Know how to negotiate a salary proposition.
- Get personal coaching to enhance your interview performance.
- Improve your skills for success in your job search and career advancement.
MAP OUT a comprehensive Job Search Strategy that includes:
- Network online and in person.
- Tap into the Hidden Job Market.
- Apply for posted job openings online, in person, and by mail.
- Identify and communicate your unique value.
- Prepare and practice for job interviews.
SELL yourself with CONFIDENCE. Job-winning candidates sell themselves through their resume, abilities, and the value they bring to prospective employers. How does your confidence level measure up?
DOCUMENT achievements, skills, and accomplishments that demonstrate your ability to do the job requirements by using CAR stories. Show the added value you bring to the table by solving problems, saving money, and reducing waste.
PERSISTENCE to work consistently through your job search plan. Consistency is a key factor between a successful job seeker who lands an excellent position and those that merely wish they had a new job. Regularly put time into researching possible jobs, making application, networking, and including the other ideas suggested in this blog post. Remember: A comprehensive job search effort + consistency + persistence = new employment and a better life.
You can significantly increase your success rate and shorten your total job search process by employing these six strategies. Do a quick assessment of each item and note the areas where you need to strengthen your approach. Do you need compelling writing for your resume and social media profile? Do you need to include a more holistic networking approach? Do you lack the confidence to sell yourself and your abilities? Are you keeping a master list that documents each achievement? Do you need help to access the hidden job market? Have you been persistent in your job search efforts?
Radiant Resume Career Services provides resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile writing; job search and interview coaching; and strategies for all your job search and career needs. Contact me today and let me help you shine brighter and reach your job search and career goals faster!
Don’t just wish for a new job —make it so!
Photo credit: “Captain Picard Chair” by Source (WP:NFCC#4). Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Captain_Picard_Chair.jpg#/media/File:Captain_Picard_Chair.jpg